Monday, October 26, 2009

Lusso conquers all (too)














I know it’s been a while since I have written about food. My last critique has been years ago, yes. While that may be so, my love for food and my deep appreciation (or more accurately profound fondness) for the marvelous world of gastronomy has never diminished or was never lost. One thing worth mentioning is, during this somewhat long absence, many wonderful things have happened. I have embarked on other adventures; not related to food, but something I love next to culinary arts… and that is, fashion. Although I may have taken to designing footwear, at the end of the day, the kitchen is where you will find me, wooden spoon in hand. It is interesting to note that while you may find me doodling away, one of the few inspirations behind my designs is food. In the end, it all goes back to gastronomy.

It takes a lot to inspire me. Perhaps this is why I haven’t written in a while. I could have written about my daily cooking adventures… yes, maybe… but I wouldn’t want to do a Julie on you or I would end up sounding like a “knock-off”. That is the last thing I want but perhaps some other time? I do have much to share about my kitchen episodes.

Well, while on hiatus, there was simply nothing worth writing about… that is, until Lusso happened. I must say that this is something worth telling…

Just tonight my dear friend Carolyne invited me for dinner. One thing Carolyne is, she is a splat… just like me. But that is not the only thing we agree about. She too basks in and frequents my other world---fashion. When two splats come together, many wondrous things happen. I must tell you, dear Carolyne has a Les Roches diploma to boast of… but she hates the kitchen. I have neither Le Cordon Bleu nor a Les Roches to brag about but I love the kitchen. One thing we certainly have in common is our appreciation for food (and how widely we like to criticize it). So today, I introduce to you my fellow gourmand and (bosom friend), dear Carolyne.

Now let me ask you, if you could just boil an egg and serve it as it is, where’s the fun in that? Out of necessity, yes, this is acceptable… very much so. But to a learned and talented cook, you would not stop at necessity. To him, cooking is neither a chore nor a routine; neither is it an obligation. Rather, cooking becomes an adventure where fine food takes you to another world and where all the great conversations happen. All this happens in Lusso.

In as much as we wanted to try everything on the menu, we couldn’t… naturally. Or should I say this was requisite? I have been on a diet since Monday (this excludes Carolyne---she doesn’t believe in diets). I will tell you about my diet on the next post. I will do a little Julie for you. For 60 days, I will go on a diet and TRY to make an account of what I’ve eaten (and what I’ve not). My 60 day diet includes a reward meal once a week. So tonight, I rewarded myself to dinner at this divine little restaurant I have been mentioning since my hello a while ago and I reckon you are most probably curious about already. I did tell you I was (and still very much am) a splat did I not? So diatribes are to be expected in this blog.

There was much debate on the main course---rightly so. I haven’t eaten much in days thus my carefully thought of choice for an entree. My choice, a burger… now hold your horses... Before you judge me, let me tell you that this is not just any burger. This is the superhero of burgers… the superstar! No, wait… this was the Napoleon of all burgers. Yes. Truly it is. If this burger could travel the world and boast of its chattels, it would conquer. Did I tell you I was never fond of burgers? On occasion, I will eat it… if it sounds interesting that is. But I wouldn’t even bother looking for it at Mc D. How can you turn down a Lusso burger? Well, you just can’t. If this burger could speak, it would not even have to. Sink your teeth into the succulent juicy patty and you won’t stop. If you hate burgers, you may find yourself doing otherwise. Start this with an aperitif of Egg Cocotette, and you will find bliss. And I’m not fond of eggs either. Yet Lusso makes me feel otherwise. This isn’t where it ends. I have yet to tell you about Carolyne’s Shepherd’s Pie. This pie is no shepherd’s pie so to speak. This is the king of pies… a delightful little pot full of chunks of lamb cooked with figs and covered with the most delicious mashed potatoes I’ve ever tasted… gratineed to perfection. A very unpretentious and confident dish that has everything to boast about, this is truly worth every penny. Before you decide to pick up the tab however, here, you MUST order dessert. Or your Lusso experience will not be complete. This is where I start to hate the word diet. I love sweets… very very very much. Did I emphasize that enough? Lusso’s Pot de Crème Chocolat is lovely. What a temptress… I would have had it all to myself if I could. This is the most immaculate cup of mousse. If the photograph looks good, it tastes even better. Need I say more?

So, with that, I acclaim, Lusso conquers. I submit myself wholly… You have won me over and I will be coming back for more (with dear Carolyne of course)… Kitty, thank you for the absolutely lovely dinner. It was truly pleasant and one of the most enjoyable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!